Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Our Currier and Ives Evening

I bought Craze ice skates for Valentines and even though it's not the official day yet, he took them to a Chicago Park District rink and tried them out tonight. He did pretty good even though he complained that the ice was really rough, only to find out later that you have to have the blades of new skates sharpened before you use them.

Who knew? Why don't they come pre-sharpened, that's what I want to know.

Anyway, the Bug and I watched from rink side and FROZE for the 20 minutes or so he stayed there. It was nice to be out in the fresh air and I'd never seen my husband skate before, so that was cool. But I was afraid after a while that my nose might fall off and I was worried about the Bug's poor freezing paws. As it is, she's not the most innately friendly of beasts and she was a little freaked out by all the people gliding by at high rates of speed and was keen to get the heck out of there!

And so it was that once Craze realized, after talking to one of the more skilled skaters, that he was skating around on unsharpened blades, he was ready to call it a night. Moments later I was enjoying the full blast of the car heater and happily headed home to my crock pot pork and lentils dinner.

Ahh. . .nothing like a winter skating outing with the family followed by a hot, homemade meal after a hard day of work. Makes us sound all Currier and Ives-ish, doesn't it?

That, in itself, is pretty funny actually.

No comments: