Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cleaning Up on Bargains and Clutter

My three-hour shopping extravaganza left me knackered yesterday. My back and hips were killing me way before I left Target. That said, I did manage to score some good bargains on all my stocking-up necessities with weekly sales plus savvy couponing.

Thinking back, I can't believe I never really used coupons back when I had a real job (and a real salary). Those little oblongs of cut-up newspaper are free money. What was I thinking?

Anyway, I managed to blow a couple hundred bucks at Target on a giant cart load of stuff but saved about $50 with coupons. Lordy, I love when that happens. Now we are set up with tissues, paper towels, dog food and, yes, canned tomatoes for a good long while among all the other household necessities I bought. I even got a cute baby sweater with dogs on it for $2.98 (originally $12) and a pair of baby/toddler outdoor mittens for $1. If they're too big for him this winter, they'll work just fine next winter.

Boy, oh boy, do I love bargain shopping!

Craze's boss blew off their salary summit yesterday, so no word yet on whether the Sumner household can look forward to a slightly more rosy financial picture. I guess we'll find out sometime soon (hopefully).

I just got off the phone with my English auntie. A big overseas box arrived at my door yesterday with an assortment of thoughtful Christmas gifts for me, Craze and our little babe. Oh, I do love my aunt and uncle. . .I just wish they didn't live a whole ocean away.

And the seven-day countdown to in-law arrival has begun. Today, I'm going to focus on cleaning up the upstairs, finalizing the baby's room and then move down to the downstairs in the next day or two (depending on when my freelance work comes in). I also need to plan some baking time (scones, pumpkin bread and maybe cookies on the list) and then my trip early next week to Whole Foods to organify the contents of my fridge. I want to get most of it done at a leisurely pace so I'm not killing myself trying to do it all right before they get here. That's the plan anyway. . .we shall see how it unfolds.

No comments: