Thursday, September 11, 2008

Not So Sweet News. . .

So, the latest news on the pregnancy front is that I FAILED my one-hour glucose test, so I might have gestational diabetes. This makes me happy, not at all.

As a result I've been following a special diet for the past three days and have to take a 3-hour glucose test tomorrow. Fingers crossed that I pass. Like really, really crossed.

My father is diabetic which, combined with 50+ years of smoking and his unchecked high blood sugar, led to massive health problems (stokes, depression, dementia). I don't want to go down that road. I guess it didn't help though that when he found out he was diabetic he continued to eat about a loaf of white bread a day (liberally spread with trans-fat laden margarine) and then further supplemented his new "healthy" eating regime with regular meals of hot wings and frozen Snickers bars. Oh yeah. . .and a few smokes after each meal.

I can never imagine deliberately creating such a time-bomb for myself and, thankfully, I'm pretty knowledgeable about healthy eating and gave up my college smoking habit about 20 years ago.

So, I haven't had any sugar and have been watching my carb intake judiciously. Though oddly, my 3-day test prep diet has me eating a LOT of bread (whole grain for me, thank you), milk (fat free), fruit and juice. I even have to eat half a sandwich, a piece of fruit and a glass of milk before bed each night, which is decidedly weird. And tonight since I have to fast after 8pm for the test tomorrow morning, I have to eat dinner and my "bedtime snack" before then. Usually, we're barely having dinner by then!

Oh, well. All for a good cause. Let's just hope I pass the next test. If I do, I might just go crazy and celebrate with a DQ Peanut Buster Parfait.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. . .health conscious, yes. Perfect? Definitely not.

No comments: