Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Golden Moments

There is something about the light in autumn that is amazing. Right at the end of the day, before dusk or darkness fall, there is this beautiful, golden quality to the sunlight that is unlike any another time of year. It lasts only moments, maybe a half hour at best, but under its spell even the most mundane things, the red of a brick wall, the green-veined leaves of the trees still unturned, a passing car, look magical.

It reminds me of something I read recently at postsecret.com. Have you ever checked that out? People send in their innermost secrets on postcards. Some are shocking or sad. But most of all, I find them truly fascinating. There was one I saw recently that I felt I could have written myself. It was a postcard covered in real autumn leaves and it said, "Why do I feel most alive when everything around me is dying?"

No comments: